Effective Date: February 15, 2017
Scope and Consent
Collection of Personal Information
We collect the following types of personal information in order to provide you services, and to help us personalize and improve your experience.
Information you provide to us: We may collect and store any information you provide us when you use our services, including when you add information on a web form, add or update your account information, participate in community discussions, chats, or dispute resolutions, or when you otherwise correspond with us.
We also collect information about your transactions and your activities.
- Contact information, such as your name, address, phone, email and other similar information.
PayPal credit card processing
No credit card information is stored on our servers. All transactions are processed through PayPal Inc. and are not available to us. Paypal may store these following pieces of information
- Contact information, such as your name, address, phone, email and other similar information.
- Financial information, such as the full bank account numbers and/or credit card numbers that you link to your PayPal account or give us when you use PayPal Services.
- Detailed personal information such as your date of birth or national ID number.
Paypal may also collect information from or about you from other sources, such as through your contact with us, including our customer support team, your results when you respond to a survey, your interactions with members of the PayPal corporate family or other companies (subject to their privacy policies and applicable law), and from other accounts we have reason to believe you control (whether in part or in whole). Additionally, for quality and training purposes or for its own protection, PayPal may monitor or record its telephone conversations with you or anyone acting on your behalf. By communicating with PayPal, you acknowledge that your communication may be overheard, monitored, or recorded without further notice or warning.
Information from other sources: We may also obtain information about you from third parties such as credit bureaus and identity verification services.
How We Use the Personal Information We Collect
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. We may use your personal information to:
- provide PayPal Services and customer support;
- process transactions and send notices about your transactions;
- verify your identity, including during account creation and password reset processes;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- manage risk, or to detect, prevent, and/or remediate fraud or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- detect, prevent or remediate violations of policies or applicable user agreements;
- improve the services by customizing your user experience;
- measure the performance and improve their content and layout;
- manage and protect our information technology infrastructure;
- provide targeted marketing and advertising, provide service update notices, and deliver promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- contact you at any telephone number, by placing a voice call or through text (SMS) or email messaging, as authorized by our User Agreement;
- perform creditworthiness and solvency checks, compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
We may contact you via electronic means or postal mail to notify you regarding your account, to troubleshoot problems with your account, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed, to poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires, or as otherwise necessary to service your account. Additionally, we may contact you to offer coupons, discounts and promotions. Where applicable and permitted by law, you may decline to receive certain communications.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your personal information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our services, content, and advertising. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in our ad-customization programs, simply indicate your preference by logging into your account and going to the Notifications section and updating your preferences, or by following the directions that may be provided within the communication or advertisement.
We respect your communication preferences. If you no longer wish to receive notifications via our application, you can adjust your preferences by visiting the settings page of the application.
When you access our website or use PayPal Services, we (including companies we work with) may place small data files on your computer or other device. These data files may be cookies, pixel tags, e-tags, “Flash cookies,” or other local storage provided by your browser or associated applications (collectively “Cookies”). We use these technologies to recognize you as a customer; customize content, and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness; help ensure that your account security is not compromised; mitigate risk and prevent fraud; and to promote trust and safety across our sites and PayPal Services.
You are free to decline our Cookies if your browser or browser add-on permits, unless our Cookies are required to prevent fraud or ensure the security of websites we control. However, declining our Cookies may interfere with your use of our website and PayPal Services.
Do Not Track: Do Not Track (DNT) is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking by advertisers and other third-parties. We do not currently respond to DNT signals. We do, however, provide you notice of the tracking by advertisers and other third parties in our Privacy and Cookies policies
How We Protect and Store Personal Information
We store and process your personal information on our computers in North America, Asia, Europe and elsewhere in the world where our facilities are located. We protect your information using physical, technical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration. Some of the safeguards we use are firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to our data centers, and information access authorization controls.
How We Share Personal Information with Other Third Parties
We may share your personal information we collect from you, including your name, contact details, and transactions and activities, with:
- Members of the PayPal corporate family, such as PayPal Credit, Venmo or Braintree, to provide joint content, products, and services (such as registration, transactions and customer support), to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies, and to guide decisions about their products, services, and communications. Members of our corporate family will use this information to send you marketing communications only if you have requested their services. Financial institutions that we partner with to jointly create and offer a product (including but not limited to, the PayPal Extras credit card where we share information with Synchrony Bank, for example, in connection with pre-approved offers for the PayPal Extras credit card). These financial institutions may only use this information to market PayPal-related products, unless you have given consent for other uses.
- Credit bureaus and collection agencies to report account information, as permitted by law.
- Banking partners as required by credit card association rules for inclusion on their list of terminated merchants (in the event that you meet their criteria which includes having PayPal close your PayPal Account due to your breach of the PayPal User Agreement).
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process or requirement applicable to PayPal or one of its affiliates; when we need to do so to comply with law or credit card rules; or when we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our User Agreement.
- Other unaffiliated third parties, for the following purposes:
- Fraud Prevention and Risk Management: to help prevent fraud or assess and manage risk. For example, if you use the PayPal Services to buy or sell goods using eBay Inc. or its affiliates (“eBay”), we may share account information in order to help protect your accounts from fraudulent activity, alert you if we detect such fraudulent activity on your accounts, or evaluate credit risk. As part of our fraud prevention and risk management efforts, we also may share necessary account information with eBay in cases where PayPal has placed a hold or other restriction on your account based on disputes, claims, charge-backs or other scenarios regarding the sale or purchase of goods. Also, as part of our fraud prevention and risk management efforts, we may share account information with eBay to enable them to operate their programs for evaluating buyers or sellers.
- Customer Service: for customer service purposes, including to help service your accounts or resolve disputes (e.g., billing or transactions).
- Shipping: in connection with shipping and related services for purchases made using PayPal.
- Legal Compliance: to help them comply with anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing verification requirements.
- Service Providers: to enable service providers under contract with us to support our business operations, such as fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing, customer service and technology services. Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
Please note that these third parties may be in other countries where the laws on processing personal information may be less stringent than in your country.
Using Log In with PayPal
Log In with PayPal is a tool developed to improve your Internet experience. Log In with PayPal allows you to streamline and simplify the account creation and login process when using third-party websites, and it allows these websites to enhance your experience on their sites. Instead of creating multiple usernames and passwords for each website you visit, Log In with PayPal allows you to sign in to a participating website using your existing PayPal login information. When you use Log In with PayPal, you agree that PayPal can share the information listed on the Log In with PayPal consent screen or in your Log In with PayPal account settings with the participating website. Information you allow PayPal to share with these third-party websites is subject to each third-party’s terms of service and privacy agreement, so you are encouraged to review their policies.
How You Can Access or Change Your Personal Information
How You Can Contact Us about Privacy Questions